This is the latest installment in a series of conceptual and purely experimental pieces. I'm calling these "Experiments on methods". I recently posted the first of the series called, Frames. The piece you see above is called Smoke.
A few weeks ago, I was experimenting with crumpling paper to form random topography. The process led me to create the piece you see on the left; a plume of black smoke emerging from a bottle. It felt like it was missing something so I created the same piece in white, as you see on the right. Then everything became clear - I proceeded by filling the bottle with an alcohol-based ink and allowed the paper to soak it in.
Getting an aesthetic gradation was not easy though, and took multiple failures. I finally realized that presoaking the paper in alcohol led to the nicest results. I also used a small spray bottle of alcohol to keep the paper in saturation.
Naturally formed patterns are very convincing simulations of smoke. Notice the glossy characteristic of the areas with the highest concentration of ink.
While I was creating Smoke, I was also playing with the idea of splitting the pixels of an LCD back to the RGB sub-pixels. I ended up creating this series of images. It's made by photographing an iPad's display that's been manipulated. The work itself is self explanatory. Not really.